Monday, March 19, 2007

Contentment and other things

I have recently been reading through some stories of famous missionaries. David Livingstone who served in Southern Africa; Jim Elliot who served in Equador and Amy Carmichael who served in India. I am itching to serve God and his beloved people overseas but feel that God has urged me to stay-put for the time-being... For the time-being!

I am so encouraged and challenged by people who have committed their lives to serving others - whether in their home country or abroad. My heart cries for the lost people of this world. The men, women and children who have never had the opportunity to feel loved or to know the grace of Jesus Christ. I love the richness that comes with relationships of different nationalities. I am in Australia and yet I am surrounded by people from different countries.

Yet, sometimes it is so hard to feel content; to just 'be still and know;' to listen; to wait. It is in the frustration of quietness that I often realise - I am frustrated because my focus is all wrong. I am focusing on 'doing doing doing.' Instead of resting in the Lord I am fretting over an unseen future. How silly!

So I am practicing contentment.

Instead of focusing on myself (persistent pride) I am fixing my eyes on Jesus (perfect peace.) Not-so-alarmingly, I find my worries pale in comparison to the vast joy of being close to God. It is such a blessing to have a Lord who has suffered so that we can be comforted in our trials!

1 comment:

Lyn said...

Yes Jes, Amen!! I'm so happy to hear that you have shifted your focus, the speaker last Thursday spoke on "Living in Jesus' abiding presence" which was about just what you are saying! love you xo