Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Menacing Heels


Today the school is being auditted in the hope that we will be able to have a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) course mid-2007. Some of the staff have been working on the proposal for 2 years and there is a LOT of paperwork involved (my eyes are sore from proof-reading!) Everyone really wants the thumbs-up to start this course.
Soooo, we are showing off. We bought macadamia biscuits and the ladies are wearing heels. Since I am a lady - I am also wearing heels. I had to dust them off. I have worn them twice since I bought them 2 years ago. Once to my graduation and once to a friend's wedding (both times I packed thongs to wear when no one was looking.)
I just don't get why they are supposed to be attractive. Sure, you're taller (which is plus for stature-challenged people like myself) but they are so uncomfortable. I feel like I'm going to stack it and land on my face. Now THAT wouldn't be attractive! So why do all the ladies wear them? Is it part of the constant quest to be more powerful...more manly even? Or is it more sinister? A western alternative to the Chinese's feet binding?
If I didn't wear heels today - would we still pass the audit?!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Jes,
Just wanted to say that I LOVE heels! They somehow give me more confidence. Maybe because they make me a similar height to those around me! Also, I have a shoe addiction... I have way too many shoes for my own good. I love them all!

Lyn said...

Hi Jes, I am not too good in heels either, not enough practise I guess! Hope the audit went ok and you didn't fall off your heels!! God bless you as we celebrate the Easter season, love, Lyn xo

Anonymous said...

i dont do heels either jes. i always try to wear them to formal occasions, like once last year i was speaking at this big ball dinner thingy, but half way through i kicked them off and even went up on stage without shoes on. hahahah. i dont know how people do it all day every day!

love ya.

ingrid