Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ethiopian Princess

I have a little princess; a sister in Ethiopia. Her name is Date Dalcho and I have been sponsoring her for 5 years now. This morning I opened my mail to find that Date and her family are moving outside of the sponsorship zone and that I will no longer be able to support her. I feel a little bit heart-broken because it has been one of my greatest joys to see her grow into a fine young lady over the years. I loved to read her letters and especially to receive her photo each year to see that she had put on weight and could smile more easily. I understand that this is what often happens when sponsoring children but it is still hard. At the moment I am considering whether to sponsor a a 3 year old cutie from Nepal with World Vision or an Afghan child (as a large portion of my heart is connected to Afghanistan.) In the meantime, I will continue to pray for Date and her family as she will always remain my little Ethiopian Princess.

It is more of a blessing to give than to receive. Have you ever thought of blessing yourself and a community through child sponsorship? It is so easy and yet it reaps so much joy.
Check out the Compassion Australia website if you are interested. I sponsor Athira Sivakumar from India and I'm sure she has lots of friends that would love a big sister or brother!

No comments: