Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oh Yeah

So...I got a new job! It fell into my lap actually (much like this one did.) I wrote an email to ACCES, an NGO who work with newly arriving refugees and I asked if I could do some volunteer work with them to gain some experience. About 2 weeks later I received a phone call from Mary, the Senior Counsellor and Co-ordinator asking me to come in for an interview. So I went in to meet them and they offered me a job as a full-time (paid) case worker for the refugees. The position involves picking up refugees from the airport; organising housing; counselling; showing them around Brisbane; organising schooling, TAFE and childcare assistance - Basically helping them to settle in to Australia.

I've given my couple of weeks + to HHH International College and we are in the hunt to find a replacement Jes. Hopefully one of my Christian Japanese friends - Sachiko - will be able to work here. She would be great! Anyway, between now and the 7th of May I have A LOT to do (this includes moving house.) I am excited but also a little nervous at the challenge. Mostly though, I am thankful that I was given this great opportunity to FINALLY do something I am passionate about and that has something to do with a Bachelor in Social Science! God has really blessed me in this and I hope I can do a good job.

So...that's my big news. Yay me!

3 comments:

Lyn said...

well done Jes! God's plan for you is really being revealed, I'm so happy for you, God is awesome in his wisdom and patience with us! love & blessings, Lyn xo

ellie said...

Yay Jes! Good work! Sounds PERFECT for you. God is great :D Hope you're still enjoying it. Would love to hear more details?! Love Ellie <><

SiobhanMarie said...

Hello jes! How are you? I love ACCES too. :) I would like to do work closer to the clients, but I guess I'm just in it to learn the ropes mostly this year!

So; did you study something along the lines of human services or social work?

Hope you had a great time overseas; I see that you were really bombarded with questions when you got back so I didn't really want to add to that!

See you at work! xo

Siobhan!